Thursday, March 30, 2006

Thursday, 2:50 PM DESTIN

Is it really Thursday??? Paul informed me that I have missed a few entries. And, I guess I have...

I am remembering today how when I was young I used to get so sunburned I needed to have tea bags to soothe the pain! I have since heard that the Chinese spice can only be cooled by tea, not water or ice, like we are so inclined to grab. Thus, the tea served as tradition with every Chinese meal...

I am very, very red, sitting in the shade while the others dabble in the wake of the gulf. David rented a little two seat scooter today which I took a little ride on but could never get off. We rode up and down the street, looking at the wide array of beach houses around here. All have one thing in common - big, no, HUGE! Kathy and I stopped once while out scooting around, found our way around a tightly secured deserted hotel, shaker style siding - very new englandy. From the water's edge, you could really experience the ravages of the hurricane. The foundation was gutted. The tiles of the pool crumbled upon each other. The pink place next door had the entire back end ripped off. Another hotel. We couldn't imagine the expense of the repairs. Likely it will simply be ripped down and they will begin anew.

It was spooky looking at that thing - a real feeling of powerlessness against the hand of God, if it was God who sent the hurricane. I always feel awful when I see the dreams of people shuttered up - like Pesto's in Grand Blanc. Like Colony Market. Like those big, mamoth auto plants. The feeling is universal. Dreams die in Flint, in Destin - and probably in Seaside ... my new favorite place in the States!

On Tuesday, the girls took off down 30A. We ended up in this absolutely delightful seaside community with wonderfully narrow brick streets, brightly colored happy homes, smiling people. I felt like crying when we left after only an hour. I took a turn down one of the street only to remember Seaside was where the Truman Show was filmed. I loved that show - you know, the one with Jim Carey? About the guy who was part of a reality show and didn't know it. I want my reality to be in Seaside!! I am not lying. As much as I love the snow, this place could make me pack. I am going to check out the prices of homes and see what we can do. In fact, David met a guy who moved from A2 to be near Seaside (I suspect it is ridiculously expensive since he lives here in Destin! Oh btw, he named his business Big 10 Tires - can you guess why? And - yes, we did have to get a tire repaired - David's fault not mine - on second thought, I think it would be safe to blame it on the hurricane since so much construction is going on to repair these homes...)

Anyway, who wants to come with me to Seaside? I am planning to move my Mom with us since I wouldn't really want to be anywhere long without her around... I think she will love it too. Anyone else??

We also took the kids to a dolphin show, yesterday. I LOVED it - I mean, the kids loved it. Colton jumped up and down, clapped, screamed. Isi, was a bit more tame, but I think really loved it as well. I definitely want a pool of dolphines, some penguins, in my pool at Seaside. I think it could happen. We spent a bit longer there than I expected. Oh, and the otters were adorable. We can let them live with us also...

John, Wasan and the kids left early this morning, after a late night game of putt putt. Wasan's first time! Colton claimed two on every hole even though I watched him swing three, four and five. I will be getting his glasses fixed when we return. I am certain there is something wrong with them. I was remembering the last time I had putt-putted - with my Dad when Colton swung the club like a bat and smashed Isi in the head. I truly believe it almost knocked her out. I thought my Dad was going to have a fit, thinking his little angle was hurt by his little devil... Who knew we wouldn't play putt-putt again together after that? Maybe he was with us last night, watching Colton cheat, pick up the ball, lay on the course, stop other balls from hitting his.

Colton was equally as vigorous about go-karts. Despite the warnings, he kept tapping the kid in front of him with his go-kart, as if the kid was going to move aside to let him through... When he was done, he jumped out of his car, got behind it and pushed it about an inch ahead of the other guy and jumped up in the air and claimed victory! Does he THINK nobody sees him???

Sooo - I guess the plan in the works is parasailing. Isi said she wants to go. Aubree said it will complete her trip. I'll take photos. Which, btw, I would love to add to these posts but forgot my cable! It will have to wait. I can't imagine what Colt will do. There were people bungee jumping at the go-kart track. Isi said she wanted to do it. No one believed her except Colton. He almost cried and begged her not to. He did not want his sister to get hurt...

And just when I started to think he had no heart...

So, from the sun, the surf, the pain(!), I am on to the next adventure... I gotta find me a cookie...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Am enjoying reading all these. Did Colony market in GB close? They got the best meats! What happened? Good writing. Will read more soon (didn't get thru them all yet).

David G. F.