Thursday, March 30, 2006

Thursday, again, 11:31 pm Destin

Catching up for lost time.

David is here beside me on the patio off our room. An apartment really. We have a tv. Bathroom. Jacuzzi. Shower, of course. A fridge right outside our door, mainly for beverages. He's reading Louis Lamour. The light is not too bright - and we can hear the waves...

I am feeling more and more guilty as I sit here, in pain from my 3rd degree burn, because I really want to take the kids and go crabbing. I heard it is fab to take a flashlight on the beach at night and dig up crabs. And I haven't done it yet - not yet. And we really only have one more night... Tonight would probably be best night but I think my pinkling Isi has already gone to bed, on her own. This marks a first, I think. She is like her mother tonight. Very burned. Colt's face is red. I think David is the only one who was smart today. Not even pink. But he has been sweet to us nonetheless.

Kathy's brother Dan has joined us. He lives in Pensacola. He brought his jet ski for tomorrow. Can't imagine being able to ride on it since I can't move...

Tonight, we parasailed - well, I didn't. I took photos. And video. David, Colt and Isi went up about 600 feet for about 12 minutes. The second crew included Bernie, Chad, Aubree and Dan. The kids and David really seemed to love it. Colt wanted to go simply so he could "live to tell about it" to his friends. He was really frightened, but more frightened that Isi would have a story and he wouldn't. So he went.

I loved watching them, but frankly - and honestly - I found myself counting the whole time they were up there. 12 minutes. 1, 2, 3, 4... I have this weird relationship with numbers, really. I discovered it when I was delivering Isi - a kind of abbreviated lamaze. I counted over and over again to 10. Somehow, it seemed the only constant thing, only reliable thing I had at the time. Numbers don't change. They don't lie. I figured that each grouping of 10 took me that much closer to the end of the pain and misery. So, today, I count - not all the time, but when I am afraid - like I was when the three of them were up there. I have seen those videos where the string breaks and the people kite away, crashing into the ocean only to be eaten by sharks... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ...

And then, David wants me to write about eating at chic fil a, his favorite. I got a wrap, was suppose to be spicy. He got the original with butter - if that doesn't sound tasty! He loves it there. So glad.

What about those crabs??? I really should be over there!

And no, Colton has not yet gotten me back for pushing him in the other day. I think he will, however. He will...

And to all a good night, from Destin, by the sea, still in pain but a lovely kind of pain...

No comments: